(Sheung Wan old market façade)
Western Market (環街市; currently, 西港城) is one of the oldest structures in Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong. The current structure was the North Block of the original Western Market. It is the oldest surviving market building in the city. The former South Block was replaced by the Sheung Wan Complex in 1981.
|(Western Market, Connaught Road Central façade)|
Western Market is located at 323 Des Voeux Road Central. The market occupies a whole city block and is surrounded by the following streets: Des Voeux Road Central (South), Morrison Street (East), Connaught Road Central (North) and On Tai Street (West).
(The south side of the Western Market)
Sheung Wan Complex, now called the Sheung Wan Municipal Services Building, the site of the former South Block, is located at 345 Queen's Road Central. It is surrounded by: Queen's Road Central (South), Morrison Street (East) and Bonham Strand (North).
The Western Market came into business in September 1844. Western Market later consisted of two separate blocks: South Block (demolished) and North Block (the current "Western Market").
(One of the current tenants on the 1st floor is Mr Chan who is a cloth dealer)
The South Block at Queen's Road Central was built in 1858 and demolished in 1980. It was replaced by the Sheung Wan Complex in 1981.
The North Block, smaller and more compact in design, was preserved and renovated by Land Development Corporation. This Edwardian-style building was built in 1906 as an extension of the then existing Western Market. It was the former site of Harbour Office that had been moved to a reclamation area in Central District for a larger space to cope with its increasing workload. The old building of Harbour Office was pulled down to build the North Block of Western Market.
(Western Market Enterance)
It operated as a food market until 1988. In 1990, it was declared a historical monument and the renovated market building re-opened as "the Western Market" in 1991. Further refurbishment work was conducted in 2003.
The four-storey building is in Edwardian style that was popular in England from 1901 to 1918. The brickwork on the 4 corner towers is "bandaged", giving a polychromatic effect.
(Stairs inside the building)
On the first floor there is a wide range of cloth and textile for sale. The top floor is a restaurant with dancing and live music. On the flyover next to Western Market are a few old pictures with explanations from times long gone?