ERI@THE CLOCK TOWER IN TSIM SHA TSUI
The Clock Tower, officially named Former Kowloon - Canton Railway Clock Tower, is located on the southern shore of Tsim Sha Tsui in Kowloon. It is the only remnant of the original site of the former Kowloon Station on the Kowloon-Canton Railway.
It heighs 44 metres, and is topped by a 7-metre lightning rod. The interior of Clock Tower is open to visitors. The bell was produced in the UK and arrived in HK in 1920. It began operation in the Kowloon-Canton Railway Clock Tower in 1921 as part of the Tsim Sha Tsui railway terminus. It chimed round the clock at 15-minute intervals.
In 1975, the bell ceased operation when the railway terminus was relocated to Hung Hom. It has been moved several times since then and had been on public display at railway stations in Hung Hom and Sha Tin until 1995, when it was moved to the Railway House in Fo Tan. Because the bell enhanced the historical significance of the clock tower, it is returned to the tower and it listed as a declared monument in Hong Kong since 1990.
The Kowloon-Canton Railway refers to a railway network in Hong Kong which is now combined with the MTR railway system, comprising rapid transit services, a light rail system and feeder bus routes within Hong Kong, and intercity passenger and freight train services to the rest of China.
The British Section of the Kowloon-Canton Railway between was opened on 1 October 1910. The complete railway between Kowloon in Hong Kong, then a British crown colony, and the Chinese city of Canton was opened on 5 October 1911. Trains were steam-hauled. From the one line railroad, the KCR network was expanded to 3 railway lines and a light railway system, with 32 railway stations and 68 light rail stations.