The Old Wan Chai Post Office is the oldest surviving post office building in Hong Kong. It is situated at No. 221 Queen's Road East, at the junction with Wan Chai Gap Road.
The building was erected between 1912 and 1913, and opened on 1 March 1915 as the Wan Chai Post Office. It is not known whether the building was originally built and designed for such purpose. The post office ceased to operate in 1992, after having served the Wan Chai community continuously for 77 years.
The Old Wan Chai Post Office is a L-shaped building. It is a simple pitched-roof structure with attractive gable ends and mouldings.
The building is now operated by the Environmental Protection Department as an Environmental Resource Centre.
There are a Touch-screen environmental information system, a reference library, display boards in the Resource Center. There is also an Environmental Garden. Its wall is made of recycled bricks which were recovered during the refurbishment of the historic building.
* Mondays to Saturdays: 10:00am – 5:00pm.
* Wednesdays: 10:00am – 1:00pm.
* Sundays: 1:00pm – 5:00pm.
* Closed on Public Holidays
The Old Wan Chai Post Office became a declared monument on 18 May 1990. It is the only building declared as a monument in the Wan Chai area.