About the Museum
Specializing in the collection, study and display of tea ware, the branch museum at Flagstaff House features at its core the generous donations of Dr K.S. Lo (1910-1995) , which include many fine examples of the famous Yixing teapots.
Built in the 1840s, Flagstaff House originally served as the office and residence of the Commander of the British Forces in Hong Kong. It was converted to the Museum of Tea Ware in 1984, with a new wing, The K.S. Lo Gallery, added in 1995. Alongside its exhibitions, the Museum holds regular demonstrations, tea gatherings and lecture programmes to promote ceramic art and Chinese tea drinking culture.
There are several type of collections: Chinese Antiquities, Chinese Fine Art, Historical Pictures, Hong Kong Art, K.S. Lo Collection of Tea Ware and Seals and Xubaizhai Collection of Chinese Painting and Calligraphy.
Also, they have some permanent exhibitions in the museum, which are Chinese Tea Drinking and Chinese Ceramics and Seals Donated by the K.S. Lo Foundation.
This exhibition introduces the history of Chinese tea drinking and features various kinds of tea ware, from the Tang dynasty (618 – 907) to the 20th century. An education corner on “Essential tea vessels”, with hand-on facilities for the people with visual impairment, is set up to give visitors a more comprehensive background on tea utensils and to encourage a culture of tea drinking.
How to get there?
10 Cotton Tree Drive, Central, Hong Kong (inside Hong Kong Park)
Tel: (852) 2869 0690 / (852) 2869 6690 (The K.S. Lo Gallery)
Fax: (852) 2810 0021
10:00 am - 5:00 pm daily
Closed on Tuesdays and the following public holidays:
Christmas Day and Boxing Day
New Year's Day and the first three days of the Chinese New Year